The other day, I was about to park my Scooty near a shop when a young man in his twenties almost blocked my way shouting, ‘Madam, madam!’ He was carrying a large handbag. An older woman (possibly his mother) stood near him, dressed in an old navwari sari. For a moment I was taken aback but I ignored them, parked my Scooty and walked into the shop. I wasn’t going to fall for this, I knew this trick. He’d say that he’d come to the city from some far-off village in search of work, hadn’t found any and had no money to go back home. Would I kindly help him? Fifty rupees? Twenty?
By the time I stepped out of the shop, the young man and his mother were gone. Almost relieved, I started off.
And then it crossed my mind; he was probably simply asking for directions… And I felt terribly guilty for not paying any attention to him.
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is my experience as well. Due to our past experience(s), we take the things for granted and act/react with a prejudiced mind. I feel, we need to be objective in every situation even though it is similar to the previous one so that we won't feel guilty.
Post a Comment